Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ninjas in Love

OK, OK. I know this is a hot-button issue. Do ninjas fall in love? And, has there ever been a story told of two male ninjas falling for each other? This illustration came to mind while I was watching the horrible 80's movie American Ninja, last week. A predictable plot, horrible actors, terrible dialogue, and only two scenes with actual ninjas in them. You know, it's so bad that it's good. While watching, I was trying to come up with ways to turn this movie around. Space aliens, cowboys, or even if the two ninjas started making out. Anything. 


Yes, that movie poster says, "The deadliest art of the Orient is now in the hands of an American". Classic. Later that week, I sat down in a coffee shop with my wife and began sketching. Sometimes I felt bad because she was working on her dissertation (boring) while I was drawing two ninjas making out (interesting). These images below are some of the originals that I drew at the shop that night. Then something strange happened while I was putting it together. It actually started looking good.  I was just as surprised as you!  Things began to take shape and it wasn't bad, from a technical/composition perspective. I even drew them in a heart-shaped embrace, which was unintentional, but I liked the effect. 



Ok, let's really put them in a passionate embrace. Masks on. The cloth of their costumes still over their mouths. All the ninja weapons should be in view (Katana blade, throwing stars, quiver). Maybe they've never seen each other's faces before. Maybe it's forbidden, but they can't help themselves! I sat down to paint it pretty quickly after the final sketch. This was going to be a Valentine's Day illustration for the show coming to the SLG gallery on the 1st of the month. People already thought I was strange for the romantic zombie illustrations in November's show so, what the hell. The final piece was done in about 2 hours in Gouache with colored pencils. It is currently hanging in the gallery. Yes, I used very warm colors to accentuate their passion. 


Actual dialogue from the movie American Ninja:
Shinyuki: The Black Star Ninja has betrayed the code. 
Joe: Then... he must die. 

How did the Academy Awards miss this gem?







2 comments:

  1. Ninjas are great. Ninjas in love are so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but the final name for the piece was entitled, "I wish I could quit you, Ninja".

    ReplyDelete